Wednesday 23 December 2009

BEING A PASTOR

'The appointment calendar is the tool with which to get unbusy. It's a gift of the Holy Ghost (unlisted by St.Paul, but a gift nonetheless) that provides the pastor with the means to get time and acquire leisure for praying, preaching and listening. It is more effective that a protective secretary, it is less expensive than a retreat house. It is the one thing everyone in our society accepts without cavil as authoritative. The authority once given to Scripture is now ascribed to the appointment calendar. The dogma of verbal innerrancy has not been discareded, only re-assigned.
When I appeal to my appointment calendar, I am beyond criticism. If someone approaches me and asks to pronounce the invocation at an event and I say, "I don't think I should do that; I was planning to use that time to pray," the response will be, "Well, I'm sure you can find another time to do that." But if I say, "My appointment calendar will not permit it," no further questions are asked...'
Eugene H Peterson, The Contemplative Pastor, p.22.