Wednesday 6 October 2010

MARTYRDOM

'"When I was a little girl," I said, "I went to my father and said, "Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ."
"Tell me," Father said, "when you take a train trip from Haarlem to Amsterdam, when do I give the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?"
"No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train."
"That is right," my father said, "and so it is with God's strength. Our wise Father in heaven knows when you are going to need things too. Today you do not need the strength to be a martyr; but as soon as you are called upon for the honour of facing death for Jesus, he will supply the strength you need - just in time."'
Corrie ten Boom in Nancy Guthrie (Ed.), Be Still My Soul: Embracing God's purpose & provision in suffering, p.122.