Tuesday 19 April 2011

PREACHING VS. TEACHING

'For some time we have emphasises the centrality of "teaching the Bible" in pastoral ministry. That was good because it stopped us being side-tracked onto teaching our systematic theology or our experience, or just setting out strategic thinking or baptising the wisdom of the world with a religious veneer. We were reminded that we were leading our churches by teaching the Bible. But I fear that we have so emphasised "teaching the Bible" that we rest happy with "teaching the Bible". But preaching the Bible is more important than teaching the Bible, let alone simply explaining the Bible. Many of us have been introduced as a visiting speaker with the words, "Now so and so will explain the Bible/ teach the Bible." When that happens to me I want to interrupt and say, "Yes, I hope to explain and teach it. But I hope also to preach it, and that is not the same."'
Christopher Ash, The Priority of Preaching, p.48.