Friday 6 May 2011

APOLOGETICS

'We ought to be willing to be ridiculed and scoffed at because our audience isn't this present band of spectators. We can listen to them, love them, and hear their arguments with the same patience with which we comfort our children when they insist to us there's a goblin under the bed. I know there's no goblin. And I know Darwinism and hedonism and nihilism and whatever else is the proposed alternative to a Christian vision of things aren't true. Sure, I'll open the window and show my son that what he hears is just a dead leaf banging aginst the window screen. And I'll show my non-Christian neighbor how not even he believes the universe is random and meaningless and amoral. But I don't rage against my little son's "stupidity" in crying about the goblin. He's a child. And I don't rage against my unbelieving neghbour's unbelief. He's held captive to a mind-blinding snake (2 Cor.4:3-4). In both cases, what's important is something other than that I'm proven to be right. What's important is truth and hope and, above all these, love.'
Russell D Moore, Tempted and Tried, p.123.