Monday 4 July 2011

RELATIONSHIPS

'The trouble with human relationships is that man without God does not realize that all men are sinful, and so hangs too much on his personal relationships, and they crush and break. No love affair bewtween a man and a woman has ever been great enough to hang everything on. It will crumble away under your feet. And as the edges begin to break away the relationship is destroyed. But when I am a creature in the presence of God, and I see that the last relationship is with an infinite God, and these human relationships are among equals, I can take from a human relationship what God meant it to provide, without putting the whole structure under an intolerable burden. More than this, when I acknowledge that none of us are perfect in this life, I can enjoy that which is beautiful in a relationship, without expecting it to be perfect.'
Francis Schaeffer, True Spirituality, p.134.