Monday 2 January 2012

CHURCH

'When she was about seven, her best friend got lost one day. The little girl ran up and down the streets of the big town town where she lived, but she couldn't find a single landmark. She was very frightened. Finally a policeman stopped to help her. He put her in the passenger seat of his car, and they drove around until she finally saw her church. She pointed it out to the policeman, and then she told him firmly, "You can let me out now. This is my church, and I can always find my way home from here." 
And that is why I have stayed so close to mine - because no matter how bad I am feeling, how lost or lonely or frightened, when I see the faces of the people at my church, and hear their tawny voices, I can always find my way home.'
Anne Lamott, Travleing Mercies, p.55.