Saturday 5 May 2012

JESUS

'In all miseries and distresses you may be sure to know where to have a friend to help and pity you, even in heaven, Christ; one whose nature, office, interest, relation, all, do engage him to your succour; you will find men, even friends, to be oftentimes unto you unreasonable, and their affections in many cases shut up towards you. Well, say to them all, If you will not pity me, choose, I know one that will, one in heaven, who heart is touched with the feeling of all my infirmities, and I will go and bemoan myself to him. Come boldy (says the text)...even with open mouth, to lay open your complaints, and you shall find garce and mercy to help in time of need. Men love to see themselves pitied by friends, though they cannot help them; Christ can and will do both.'
Thomas Goodwin, The Heart of Christ, p.158.